Friday, June 4, 2010

Big City

In Boston there are people from Nepal. Not, Nepal, Maine but actually the country of Nepal. I live in Allston, thirty minutes from downtown Boston (where I work). When I walk the 5 minutes to the T station, I walk by no less than a Brazilan store, a Nepal restaurant, a Vietnamese, a Thai and an Indian restaurant. One of my co-workers, Sarah and I were talking about restaurants and I told her it's just like Maine. Only 180 degrees. And it's true. I don't hate Maine. I just love places where you walk down the street and you hear Spanish and Italian. I love sharing a subway station with an Asian person and shopping in a store with Jewish and Hispanics. It is the things that people take forgranted. So when I walk down the street and no one stares at me. People don't look at me like "What the hell are you doing here?" In fact, I'm just like everyone else. And I loved it. In my office, I'm also a minority. Many of my co workers are Jewish. My co-director is black, but most of my other coworkers are white. But it's not like in Maine. People don't walk up and try and touch my skin. They don't ask me about my hair and they don't wonder why I don't listen to rap music all the time and if I live in the ghetto. When I got out of work, a strange guy did come up to me and said he liked my skin, but the fact is that people are just very cool about things. I love the city, not just the food, the sports, the nightlife. But I love it because I can just be myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment