Sunday, August 2, 2009

Goldfish Dreams

My goal is to have several different blogs on here, and hope that someone might read my material. Perhaps it is a far-fetched idea, but we will see. This blog is about my life, growing up an adopted, homeschooled, vegetarian, African-American in an all-White community.
For as long as I could remember, I wanted to be White, just like my friends and family. I wanted to fit in, to be hip, hot, cool, and popular and I associated all these things with being White. I thought wouldn't it be cool if I could climb into bed, turn off the lights and just magically turn White. Of course, I went to bed multiple times, and I can assure that every time I wake up Black, but the same cannot be said off goldfish. It is very normal for goldfish, when they are in a dark room, to turn white, and then turn back again. It's not hard really, it just somehow happens. And so, when I read this, I realized that as sad as it may seem, when I was younger, that was my one of my dreams: to turn White like a goldfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment